I have in my notes that a while back Rob(A) had mentioned that the PCB required a couple of modifications to work with the drop-in DCC decoders. Were you able to resolve this in the new production run? Also is there any possibility that you could get a few drive shafts as spare parts?
Rob or Hans....an updates on RDCs; when they might be released and what roadnames up first???
The RDCs are in purgatory right now.
The first run was made at our old factory. We transferred the tools to the new factory and asked them to make a second run. We got samples and tested them - everything was fine.
When we got the full production run delivered in August 2016, about half of the trucks were falling out of the chassis. After a couple of weeks of investigation, we discovered the following: The truck was designed to be injected in POM plastic, and the drawings specified POM, but they actually injected them in ABS plastic. ABS plastic does not shrink as much as POM when it cools from the mold. From what we could tell, they discovered that the truck tooling was a little too small, so the old factory switched materials in order to make it work. When the new factory injected in POM, the trucks were too small, and fell apart.
Right now we are re-making the tooling for the truck so they will be in POM (the correct martial) and the correct size. I hope to have them back in March of 2017.
For planning purposes, are you willing to tell us the first couple few road names???
I do not know the release calendar yet but the production road names are: NYC, B&O, CN (Maple Leaf), CN (Noodle), Amtrak, CP (Beaver), B&M (without the "T" logo), CNJ, ATSF (2nd run), Trinity Texas, Reading, CNW, VIA, and SP (2nd run)
All are RDC-1 since the RDC-2 tooling is stuck at the old factory. One day we might do an RDC-3.
the second was the Warbonnet which the units received during the first overhaul of the units, in 1955 as I recall. An interesting irony for the ATSF units is that the Warbonnet scheme on stock RDC-1s was short-lived. After a 1956 accident: www.lafire.com/famous_fires/1956-0122_SantaFeTrainWreck/1956-0122_SantaFeTrainWreck.htm the units were rebuilt, losing one control cab and eventual conversion to something that looked more like RDC-2:
Mark, thanks for sharing that info. The link about the accident was very interesting.
I think the "as-delivered" scheme would be cool. (I'm not an "old-school" ATSF modeler though, but still think it would be a nice alternative.) I'm guessing they already have them decorated though at this point.
Which brings up a good segue...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE AZL.....PLEASE run some undec shells and make them available. Undec as in ZERO PAINT AT ALL. That way we have some leeway to custom paint and/or custom modify these iconic rail-passenger stalwarts.
I'm happy that you are doing the Trinity Railway Express cars, don't get me wrong. I'll buy as many numbers as you make, maybe more. But, I would love to do a few cars using the AlClad paint system to truly get that stainless look. (plus I would probably modify the headlights et al while I was at it.)